What Every Fort Worth Resident Should Know About Norway Rat Control
January 15, 2022 - Rats
There are many types of rats in Texas, but Fort Worth residents should be aware of the Norway rat or brown rat. Norway rats are brown and black with grayish-white undersides. Their bodies range in size from 7 to 9½ inches in length, with a tail roughly half the size of their bodies. Norway rats have small eyes and ears and a blunt muzzle.
Over the years, Norway rats are just one of the types of rats that have grown to be very reliant on humans for food and shelter. Read on for everything you need to know about rodent control in Fort Worth and when to call Greenforest Termite & Pest Control, Inc.
The Dangers Brown Rats Bring To Fort Worth Residents
Of all the destruction brown rats can cause for Fort Worth residents, the disease caused by rats is the most dangerous for homeowners. Brown rats will enter your home through any means possible, whether through cracks or crevices in your exterior or by gnawing their way into your home. Once they have made their way inside, your home becomes their sanctuary where they will cause ruin while they build their nests and potentially even chew their way through the wiring in your walls, causing a fire hazard.
What’s even worse is their potential to bring in disease caused by rats. Norway rats are known carriers of leptospirosis, rat-bite fever, tularemia, and salmonellosis. In addition, the fleas that they carry also can cause a variety of illnesses, including the bubonic plague and tapeworm. Brown rats can easily spread these parasites and diseases by invading your food prep areas. Considering that brown rats often live in and around garbage dumpsters, it is no surprise that they can spread disease so easily.
Brown Rat Prevention In Your Fort Worth Home
Brown rats can cause a significant issue for Fort Worth residents, making prevention key to brown rat control. Follow these simple tips to help prevent a rat infestation in your Fort Worth home:
- Inspect the exterior of your home for areas where brown rats could easily enter your home. Remember, rats can squeeze through a hole the size of a dime. Use caulking to seal up any potential areas of concern. Look for signs of gnawing and address them immediately.
- Never prop doors or windows without screens in place. Replace worn or torn screens immediately.
- Keep garbage receptacles appropriately sealed and stored well away from your home.
- Remove pet food when not in use and keep all food stored in airtight containers.
- Install vents caps on chimneys and vents.
- Keep firewood stored well away from your home.
- Address moisture issues at the exterior of your home as well as inside your home. Fix leaky pipes and remove anything that can collect rainwater near your home.
Contact Greenforest Termite & Pest Control For The Most Effective Rat Control
If you find yourself with a rat infestation, the best way to get rid of rats fast is to call Greenforest Termite & Pest Control. From our first inspection, we will let you know the options for the best way to get rid of rats fast. Our professionals will follow up quarterly to ensure your Fort Worth home stays free of rats. Give us a call today to schedule your first inspection or to learn more about our trusted home pest control and commercial pest control solutions.