The Cockroaches In Dallas Can Be Very Hard To Get Rid Of
August 15, 2022 - Cockroaches
While living in Texas has its perks, like beautiful sunny weather most of the year, it also comes with drawbacks like pest infestations. Of all the insects that could invade your home, cockroaches are some of the worst for many reasons. Not only are they hardy and resistant pests that can survive for a long time without food and can even breathe underwater, but cockroaches are also carriers of dangerous diseases and can cause severe allergic reactions.
If cockroaches have taken over your home, it is vital to learn what they look like, find out if they are dangerous, and understand why it is so hard to get rid of them to eliminate them effectively. If you are struggling with an infestation, Greenforest Termite & Pest Control, Inc provides pest control in Dallas you can rely on to get rid of it safely and for good.
What Do Cockroaches Look Like?
While appearance will depend on the different types of cockroaches, generally, cockroach characteristics are as follows:
- Cockroaches are oval-shaped.
- Like all insects, they have six legs.
- Cockroaches do not usually fly, although they have wings.
- Cockroaches are about half an inch to an inch and a half in length.
- They are generally a shade of light to very dark brown.
- Cockroaches have two long, segmented antennae that taper off at the end.
Cockroaches can vary in size and color depending on species, but they usually respond to the same treatment methods. If cockroaches have taken over, read on to learn why they are considered a dangerous pest.
Are Cockroaches Dangerous To Have In Your Home?
The reality is that cockroaches are very dangerous to have in your home. Unlike some other pests, which are just bothersome or scary but can be beneficial in some ways, there are no upsides to a cockroach infestation. Here are several reasons why cockroaches are dangerous:
- Cockroaches have leg spines that can lead to infections should they contact your skin.
- Cockroaches carry salmonella, staphylococcus, and streptococcus bacteria which can cause serious illnesses.
- Cockroaches are vectors of dangerous diseases like dysentery, diarrhea, and cholera.
- Cockroaches can trigger allergic reactions and asthma, especially in children and the elderly.
If you spot a cockroach in your home, there is more in hiding. Unfortunately, getting rid of them can be difficult.
Why Is It So Hard To Get Rid Of Roaches Inside Homes?
Getting rid of these smelly and resistant insects is no easy task, in part because of the following characteristics of cockroaches:
- Cockroaches have adapted to be resistant to a lot of pesticides and treatments.
- Cockroaches can go without food for a long time and survive on non-food items like feces and glue.
- Cockroaches are very good at hiding and can go undetected for a long time.
- Cockroaches reproduce quickly.
- A cockroach exoskeleton is very sturdy, making them nearly impossible to crush. Cockroaches are also really fast and hard to catch.
While getting rid of cockroaches is difficult for these reasons, it is still possible to eliminate an infestation.
Effective Cockroach Control In Dallas
The best way to kill cockroaches is to combine time-tested prevention practices, such as keeping your home clean and free of leaks, with professional pest control treatments. Steps you can take to control an infestation include:
- Fix all water leaks and avoid having stagnant water on your property.
- Seal all cracks in your foundation and walls as they provide entry points for cockroaches.
- Keep garbage cans clean and take out the trash regularly.
- Do not leave food out for long periods. Keep cooking and dining areas clean as much as possible.
- Do not leave dirty dishes in the sink, and clean garbage disposals often.
- Vacuum and mop floors regularly, and disinfect surfaces throughout the day.
- Reach out to a pest control company that can inspect your home and develop a treatment plan.
When it comes to effective cockroach control, nothing can beat working with our trained technicians, who have the experience required to eliminate these resistant invaders safely.
If you see signs of a cockroach infestation, contact us today. After a thorough inspection, we will provide you with the best treatment plan based on your needs and situation. Cockroaches are difficult to get rid of, but with our help, we can eliminate your infestation for good.