How To Tell If Your Fort Worth Home Has A Bed Bug Problem
March 15, 2022 - Bed Bugs
Our home is our safe place, where we go to relax, knowing that we are safe and healthy within our own four walls. However, the infiltration of pests can shatter that feeling — especially when those pests invade our beds. Bed bugs rustling around in your mattress and sheets is enough to make anyone shiver. Read on to learn how to identify an infestation, as well as how to remove them from your Fort Worth home.
How To Identify Bed Bugs In Fort Worth
If bed bugs have invaded your Fort Worth home, there will be some tell-tale signs letting you know. Below are some things to look out for if you suspect an infestation:
- Bloodstains: If there are unexplained bloodstains on your bedsheets, it is likely you have a bed bug infestation. These are from the bed bugs biting you and feeding on your blood, leaving behind a mess on your sheets.
- Musty odor: Bed bugs leave behind a strong, musty odor that people describe as "offensive" and "assaulting." This scent is excreted by the insects’ scent glands, and is a sure sign they are present in your Fort Worth home.
- Droppings and body parts: Bed bugs will leave behind fecal matter wherever they are nested in your home, your bed particularly. They also leave behind eggshells and shed skins, which may also be present.
Are Bed Bugs In Fort Worth Harmful To My Health?
The good news is that bed bugs are not known to carry and spread diseases, unlike cockroaches and other pests in the Fort Worth area. However, they can still be harmful to human health. Bed bugs can cause anemia in people due to significant blood loss if given enough time to feed on a human host uninterrupted. Their bites also itch, and excessive itching can lead to bacterial infections. Always being woken up due to the itchiness can also cause insomnia and even paranoia. These are just some of the many reasons why it is important to seek professional help to prevent and exterminate bed bug infestations.
How To Effectively Get Rid Of Bed Bugs In Fort Worth
There are some things you can proactively do when it comes to getting rid of bed bugs in your Fort Worth home. Below are some tips:
- Wash your sheets: It is helpful to wash all of your bed linens on high heat for at least 30 minutes if you suspect a bed bug infestation. This will assist in killing the insects.
- Remove clutter: It is a good idea to remove clutter everywhere in your Fort Worth home, but it is especially important to remove the clutter around your bed to help get rid of bed bugs. This removes any possible hiding spots for them.
- Cover box springs and mattresses: Keeping your box spring and mattress in a tightly woven, zippered covering will keep bed bugs from being able to nest in your bed in the first place.
- Vacuum: When vacuuming your Fort Worth home, be sure to pay special attention to your room and around your bed. This will kill stray bed bugs.
- Repair wallpaper and walls: Pasting down wallpaper removes additional hiding spots for bed bugs, and sealing up and cracks in the plaster or drywall will do the same.
How To Stop Bed Bugs In Fort Worth From Coming Back
The best thing to do when you suspect a bed bug infestation is to call the experts at Greenforest Termite & Pest Control, Inc. Since 1984, we have been dealing with all of the different kinds of pests that plague the Fort Worth, TX area. Our expert technicians will conduct an inspection, apply treatment, and conduct a follow-up to ensure all the bed bugs have been exterminated. We are armed with the skills and tools required to safely and effectively remove bed bug infestations from your Fort Worth home. Don’t let pests ruin your beauty sleep — call us today!